Sunday, January 12, 2014

The First Week

On Monday we will have been here for one week! I love the complex that we live in. Having come from winter weather and freezing temperatures, it is a nice change to look out your window at green trees and feel the 85+ degree warmth on your face. 

The boys and I try to make it down to the playground once a day, sometimes twice. It's not a far walk, at all, but it's more exercise than I've had in awhile. There is a pretty steep hill on the way, so I'm sure that I will end up with toned calves soon. Too bad I can't say the same for the rest of my body. 


This is a picture of the pool from the playground. Dare I say, it almost reminds me of a resort. Ooh La la. 







This is on the path to the playground and pool area. Every morning, I think that it is such a nice walk. It isn't too warm yet, and our apartment shades most of the road. 

Beckham is getting to be such a big boy. I know I haven't given a 6 month update, sadly, I may just have to do a 7 month. He is definitely a mama's boy. He's by me all. the. time. It could be because he can't sit up on his own. 



The path up to our apartment. I love how green everything is here. 




So the week went by pretty well. Our driver took us to the store a couple of times, helped Heath buy a car, and numerous other things. Just having someone around that speaks fluent English and Portuguese has been life saving. We are now hooked up to the internet which is great because we have been able to FaceTime with a lot of our family. This weekend we ventured out on our own to Walmart and Pao de Acucar. Our rental car is a standard and I haven't driven one of those in years. YEARS! Anyway, we survived. Both places are literally less than five minutes from our home.

I know that everyone was worried about us. What would I do at home all day? Heath working a lot. There isn't much that makes me worried about whether I would be happy. My only frustration right now is that I can't communicate. I'm not sure how people can come down here and not learn Portuguese. I have to be able to know what's going on. I want to be able to read the apartment newsletter. I would like to be able to order take-out, that apparently is amazing. So after we are little more settled, and Cayden starts school, my goal is to find a tutor. 

I know that this coming week will be filled with playground visits, and a trip to the feira (market)! I can't wait to see all the produce!!

Until then - Tchau and Boa noite


1 comment :

  1. The best way to learn is total immersion and I think you've got that part down. If anything you'll just get really good at hand gestures. ;) I'm really enjoying reading about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete