Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Week 28 - Just Because I'm Pregnant...

Seven Months...Seriously? Part of the panic and anxiety is starting to filter into my brain. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having full blown attacks yet, or anything, just thoughts...
Can we do this? In three months Cayden will be here?! Are we really having a baby? This chapter in our life is just too crazy to think about!




Here I am...In all my glory, or at least in my favorite color....Black! You thought I would say Grey, right?




As I for warned in the last post, here is a conversation I had at Walmart last weekend.




Cashier: "Sooo, are you going to breastfeed or bottle feed?"


(Note: I realize I am at the point-of-no-return, as in I can't deny being preggers. But is that really how you want to start this conversation)




Me: Ummm...I'm not really sure yet. I guess we'll see how it goes?"




Cashier: Well, I was breastfed completely. My mom never got a bottle near me! My husband thinks this is crazy, but I don't see any other way. I know when we have children that is what we will do."


(Inner Thought: You have no kids? So you can be an expert because you were an exclusive breast only baby? How old are you? 20? 22?)




Me: Oh, well that's nice. (Smile and nod, smile and nod)




I'm not sure what comes over people when they are faced with a pregnant woman. There is this need to forgo all rules of personal space and conversation and break open barriers otherwise unexplored.




1: People think it's okay to touch your belly. It's not. Unless I know you...REALLY well. Believe it or not, I actually had a male student try to touch my belly...his hand was quickly slapped away. Another asked if they could smell my belly....trust me...Kids are weird.




2: It's okay to ask me how much I weigh, or how much weight I have gained. With this I am not as particular, maybe it's because I'm pretty excited that I haven't gained a lot of weight.




3: Breast v. Bottle - This topic makes me uncomfortable to think about and to imagine, let alone have an extended conversation about. Maybe this maternal instinct gene hasn't kicked in, but I am still leery about the whole breastfeeding thing.




4. "My, how you have grown!" I get it. I am big. I have put on weight. My belly sticks out farther than my boobs. It's obvious I am pregnant, I don't really need you to point it out.




There you go.

No comments :

Post a Comment