Monday, September 23, 2013

Potty Training

I've been waiting to potty train Cayden. I'm not sure what I thought "the moment" would be, but I was going to wait for it, as long as it happened before we move. To say that I wasn't in a hurry really, is an understatement. Finally the sign I needed appeared:

Don't worry - He didn't actually go over. 

All of a sudden he decided that he was no longer going to wear diapers to nap. No matter what you did, he would take off the clothes and then the diaper. After battling this for a few days, he wouldn't let me put a diaper on him at all. So I guess that was the sign I was looking for?

Before we have tried to tell him that if he needed to go pee-pee or poop, to tell us. And that you're supposed to go in the big potty. Over the last few months he has done this a few times, nothing with regularity. Desperate for a solution to the PT that was suddenly upon me, I bought the 3-day PT book. It seemed pretty straightforward. The only oddity is that you never put a diaper or pull-up on them again, ever. 

Off we went to the store so that Cayden could pick out his big boy undies. He chose Cars, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. 

We started/was forced last Tuesday. 




 The book had suggested a chart, but I wasn't too sure about it. I mean would Cayden really know what it was for? Would he care? Well, he loved it! He loves putting stickers on there, and showing Heath when he gets home! Phew. 


A cartoon bottom. 

As of Friday, he has had one accident. Now, that doesn't count night times. Eventually, he will get that figured out. He's really good about going right when he wakes up. I know he gets frustrated with me because I ask him all the time if he has to go potty. I need to be a little more trusting and just let him tell me, which he does about 50% of the time. He can't quite go by himself yet. We have to put him on the potty, and all the rest. I know as he gets bigger, he will do it on his own. Let's just give a big cheer for only having ONE kid in diapers. I think one of the scariest/most expensive things for parents of multiple kids is to have them in diapers and formula. Geez. I can't even imagine how much of our budget would go for that!

For those that are waiting/wanting to potty train, I would recommend the 3-day method. I was skeptical at first. Heath thought it was a crock. But Cayden really has done a spectacular job! I would also give myself a pat on the back for being patient, and not freaking out when he does have an accident. 

No comments :

Post a Comment