Sunday, June 3, 2012

Warrior Dash

About six months ago I convinced five teachers to sign-up for the Warrior Dash. I must have the power of persuasion because I, myself, have no physical skills, whatsoever! We all trained for the Dash, in our own way, but as June 2nd approached I began getting a little nervous. I knew that I could not run a 5K. I have no upper body strength, except that which requires me to haul Cayden around. Needless to say, my expectations were low. My goals went in this order:

1. Don't Die. (#2 on the waiver for says that you could get seriously injured or die).
2. Finish the race. No matter how long it takes.
3. Don't get hurt. No broken ankles, or arms, etc.
4. Attempt all the obstacles.

Heath, Cayden, and I went to Tulsa Friday. We did not get a restful night of sleep. Cayden went to sleep 2 hours past his normal time, and then cried off and on, until I finally put him in bed with us. He has NEVER slept in our bed for an extended period of time. He slept a little better, but not great. The next morning we were off, and thankfully Heath's mom watched Cayden so we didn't have to take him out to the Dash.

This is our "Warrior" pose. Inspired by Greg.

Like stretching is going to help me. HA!

Tebowing? Streching? A little of both?

 The Dash consists of a 3 mile "run" and 12 obstacles. If you aren't familiar with the Warrior Dash you should check it out and see what the obstacles are! There was lots of climbing, cargo nets, balancing on small boards, etc. Really the worst part were the STEEP hills!! UGH.
One of the last obstacles. The one performing the Plank Maneuver at the top is me!
 One of the final parts to the race is jumping over fire! Caity and I knew we wanted to jump with style and grace, so we agree to try some leaps, instead of just jumping!


Look at that physical prowess! I think I could be the poster child for jumping over fire!


WOW! Even better!

I love this one of Janet!!
 After you jump over fire, you plunge into a mud hole that is about 3 feet deep. To make sure that you totally submerge yourself, they put barbed wire about a foot above the water level! I jumped in and literally swam to the other side! It was great!
Sharon after the mud hole!
I survived the Dash! WOOT! Woot!





Our "After" pose. Exhausted. Spent on Energy. Covered in mud.


Well, I completed ALL of my goals! We weren't fast, and that was okay with me! We didn't run the whole course, but we were there to complete, not compete!
I have to say that I am really proud of myself and our group. We started as a team, and finished as a team. There was a lot of encouragement along the way, especially for those who get stuck at the top of a climb, and need some help getting over (me!). The one obstacle I am most proud of though was the rope wall. Basically its a flat wall with some small ledges. You have to pull yourself up a rope to get to the top, and then climb down the other side. I really didn't think I could do it, but I DID!

We are definitely doing it again next year!!!

Thanks to Heath for taking all of the great pictures!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment